The opinions expressed in this blog are mine, and mine alone. They do not represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Indonesia: Bali Continued

My fifth day in Indonesia Rachel, Daniel (her boyfriend) and I went driving up the Bali countryside.  We stopped in a place called Tagellelang.  They have beautiful rice fields there.  We had tea and sat enjoying the view.
The three of us

More views of the Tagellelang rice fields.  They are a sight to behold.  And if you can see in this photo, the palm trees are HUGE!

That night, we went to a Mexican restaurant in this cute town called Ubud.  It was SO good!  I actually had cheese enchiladas, almost like I am used to them in the states.  I wanted to get a shirt with this saying on it but it didn't work out unfortunately.

This is an amazing local dessert, made with cheese.  Forget the name unfortunately.

The next day, I rented a car and a driver who took me to the northern part of the island.  The first major stop was this Hindu temple.
Inside the temple

This is a traditional toilet in Indonesia...you squat on the ground and use water to wash yourself as well as flush it down.

Then I went to Kintamani, which is famous for its two active volcanos and beautiful caldera.  I started to  experiment a bit with taking black and white photos.

More photos of Kintamani




Next, we returned to Ubud and I shopped at the traditional market.  You must haggle the price when purchasing anything.  But by this point, I knew what most things were worth and I had no problem paying a fair price.

They use Absolut vodka bottles to sell Petrol on the side of the road.  This is fabulous.
This is the view from a temple in Uluwatu
 
Rachel, her friends and I went to this place called Echo Beach and had seafood for dinner.  So yummy.  The view and the sunset were spectacular.

On one of my last days, we decided to go snorkeling.  The beach was BEAUTIFUL.  Unfortunately the winds were pretty brutal and the ocean was dragging us around so it was pretty tough to snorkel.  But I took underwater photos of fish anyway and had a great time.  

Eating sate lilit (fish sate) at the snorkeling beach


Bali was absolutely amazing.  I had a great time.  After Bali, I headed to Jogjakarta.  Photos from Jogja will be in the next post...

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos. Love the b & w. You've got the touch. You look terrific and very happy.

    ReplyDelete