The opinions expressed in this blog are mine, and mine alone. They do not represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Until We Meet Again...

Since I am not sure when I will have access to internet, I figured I would post once more before I left the country. I woke up this morning feeling nothing but excitement. As the day wears on and the list of things to do continues to grow (even at 6 pm the night before I leave), the nervousness begins to set in. But it is nice when the list consists of: make copies of forms; get money out of the ATM; finish writing thank you notes; and pack chocolate. At least I don't have to find a winter jacket or pay overdue bills. I just want to spend the last night with my parents. This may vary well be my last night in this home. My parents are planning to move, even though there is no concrete plan yet. I am going to enjoy this time.

A few days ago, as my mom and I were packing up my childhood, I felt so overwhelmed. I didn't think I could get everything done. Many other volunteers going to Botswana with me were packed before I had even finished buying everything I needed. One full day shopping trip with dad on Saturday fixed that. I have two checked bags and I am even a couple pounds under the 80-pound weight limit set by the Peace Corps. Space bags (in which you vacuum the air out of your piles of clothes) are unbelievable, I tell ya.

My mom, unbeknownst to me, has been making me a quilt over the last month or two. She invited some of the most important people in my life to contribute a square. I can't express how beautiful it came out and how much it means to me to be taking this abroad. My mom contacted many of my close friends from childhood, high school, and college. My grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins are all represented, as are close family friends who have watched me grow up.

We also had the final goodbye party on Sunday. My parents honored everyone in the room, stating why they were all important in our lives. Then everyone gave me their personal wishes for my safe travels. It was especially touching because everyone in the room felt appreciated. And isn't that what it's all about? Giving back a little?

It has been both bittersweet and amazing saying goodbye to everyone. Of course I feel sad and I know that I may miss some important milestones, like weddings and births and graduations, but it's worth it. And it's not really goodbye. To me, it continues to be, "until we meet again..."

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful account of these last hours Amelia. Been very special for us. You’re about to cross a threshold into truly making your way in the world as your own woman. It’s a big deal. Your mother and I love you deeply. We are so grateful for having had you as our child for these 22 years. It’s made our lives sing, and taught us much about ourselves, and life. It’s a big transition for all of us. I’m getting really psyched about visiting Botswana and the surrounding areas. We got to visit Europe because of you, and now Africa! You are leading us out into the world! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete